Minecraft Forge 1.16.3 is an open-source modding engine/framework for Minecraft It allows developers to directly contact to internal functions of Java based Minecraft through API calls and add new features to the game while maintaining the compatibility with other mods.
Forge API, Do I need it?
It depends. If you are a player of Minecraft Java Edition and want to customize your game with community created mods, then yes, it is a must have tool. Forge 1.16.2 has both client (player) and server (host) installer types available.
Not only Forge increases the compatibility but it also makes installing new mods easier. After installing the Forge, all you have to do is to create a %appdata%/.minecraft/mods folder and move all your downloaded mods Jar/Zip there, then launch the game. Pretty simple, right!
This project is made possible by community developers; LexManos, cpw and many others.
List of Downloads for Minecraft Forge
Below you can find installers for almost every recent Minecraft version.
For 1.16.3 Installer (Direct): forge-1.16.2-34.0.0-installer.jar (9th September, 2020)
For 1.16.2 Installer (Direct): forge-1.16.2-33.0.0-installer.jar (13th August, 2020)
For 1.16.1 Installer (Direct): Forge-1.16.1-installer.jar
For 1.15.2 Installer (Direct): Forge-1.15.2-installer.jar
For 1.15.1 Installer (Direct): Forge-1.15.1-installer.jar
For 1.14.4 Installer (Direct): Forge-1.14.4-installer.jar
For 1.13.2 Installer (Direct): Forge-1.13.2-installer.jar
For 1.12.2 Installer (Direct): Forge-1.12.2.jar
For 1.12 Installer (Direct): Forge-1.12-.jar
Recent Changes made to the Forge API
These are the list of changes in the recent builds of Minecraft Forge, these are usually meant for mod makers, you can skip reading them.
Build: 1.15.2-31.2.30 - Thu Jul 02 05:43:41 GMT 2020 - Fix improper handling of baked lighting in forge light pipeline - Fix IItemHandler wrappers for chests not updating both chests (#6874) - Fix Language.javaLocale parsing (#6861) - Allow RayTraceContext to be constructed with a null entity. (#6708) - Replace explicit shears reference in vanilla loot tables with tag for modded shears. (#6765) - Fix cache file sorting issue on linux (#6793) - Modify how modfiles load slightly, for better decoupling. - Throw an exception from DeferredRegister when trying to register entries after registry event has fired (#6789) - Potential userProperties Fix (#6740)
How to install Forge 1.16.3 (Client) in Minecraft
• Close the Minecraft Launcher if it is running.
• Download the latest JAR installer from the link(s) mentioned above. Make sure the installer matches the game version.
• Now double-click Forge installer.jar file. Make sure “Install Client” radio button is selected. Then click Install.
• Forge Installer will begin downloading the required libraries and build processes, this process will take few minutes.
• Then you will get a Successfully installed message, click OK and then start Minecraft Launcher
• Select the profile newly created with Forge and click Play.
Installation Instructions for Old Game versions
Forge API only started shipping Installer after Minecraft v1.5.2, so if you are still using legacy versions then you have to follow these steps to install Forge.
- Download the latest version of Forge from link above.
- Go to your /.minecraft/bin folder and open Minecraft.jar using WinRAR or 7zip
- Open mod zip file, drag and drop its files and folders into the jar
- Delete META-INF inside the jar
- Launch Minecraft and verify.
How do I install Forge Mods?
It’s the easiest part of whole process. Once you have the API installed, all you have to do is to start Minecraft. You will see a big “Mods” button on the front screen of game, click it.
Then click “Open Mods Folder“, it will pop up a Window in your Operating system. Now drag and drop the mod files with extensions such as .JAR and .ZIP. Do not attempt to extract the mod files.
You can also access the mod directory by entering the the following path in Run dialog box. (press WinKey+R)
Tips and Warnings
- Minecraft Forge has a built in FML (ModLoader), you don’t need to install any.
- OptiFine is now compatible with Forge
- It’s better to install MCF on a fresh copy of Minecraft.
- Majority of Forge mods install inside, <C:\Users\UserID\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\mods> folder.
- Do a test run before installing any mods in MCForge.
- Minecraft Forge updates very often, make sure you have latest version.